Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

Alice in Wonderland in the Rabbit Hole
It feels like I've fallen down the rabbit hole.... I feel disoriented, alone, and often confused. What I thought I knew is not what I know now....

Since I already have a graduate degree in another discipline, I'm surprised at how disoriented I feel in the Master of Arts, Fashion program. I thought I knew a lot about fashion history but what I've discovered is that I know a lot less than I thought I did. Fashion theory seems to be deeply rooted in sociology theory but also encompasses a range of other disciplines from philosophy, history, visual culture and economics - which translates into a lot of reading! Besides that, as a mature student, the logistics of going to university are a lot different that it was the first time, especially since this time I have a family and an elderly mother to care for. Add to that a perfectionist streak and there are moments when I'm a little bit overwhelmed. More than once, I've asked myself "What have I done?"

I'm sure that in due course I'll get used to this different rhythm and figure out how to make time for friends, for my art practice, for blogging, for my life.... In the meantime, I've got reading to do!

Picture credit: http://www.victorianweb.org/art/illustration/tenniel/alice/2.2.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Fashion and Hairstyles. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Big Homes.